Breaking News

Two PAS Selangor reps declare themselves against Khalid

SUBANG, Aug 14 — Two PAS state assemblymen today publicly expressed support for PKR’s Datuk Seri Wan Azizah Wan Ismail to become Selangor mentri besar, effectively removing Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim’s claim of commanding majority support.
The two are Hulu Klang and Morib state assemblymen Saari Sungip and Hasnul Baharuddin.
“They have stated their stand via statutory declarations signed by all 30 state reps whom have appeared here today to openly show their support,” Dr Wan Azizah told a packed press conference here.
Dr Wan Azizah, who is PKR president, made the announcement in a hastily-convened press conference held at Empire Hotel here in the presence of Pakatan Rakyat’s top leadership including those from PAS.
Khalid on Monday said the Selangor Sultan had consented to him remaining as mentri besar despite his sacking from PKR, after convincing the ruler that he still enjoyed the backing of most Selangor lawmakers.
But with today’s development, Pakatan Rakyat now has 30 of the state’s 56 assemblymen backing the PKR president to replace Khalid.
PAS previously held out on declaring its position and is due to make its decision on August 17.
Dr Wan Azizah said she submitted a letter to the Palace at 11.30am today seeking an audience with the Sultan.
Enclosed with the letter were the statutory declarations of the 30 PR state assemblymen.
“I have also pleaded for his royal highness’ opinion if there is a need for the Speaker to hold a sitting to finalise the mentri besar replacement process,” she said.
Wan Azizah said with PR now demonstrably in command of the state assembly, Khalid should step down and allow a smooth transition of power.
“He should ease the transition of power in a gracious manner and not make any policy or administrative decisions as he no longer has any legitimacy as mentri besar,” she said.
The Sultan is currently away and is only due to return in two weeks time.
The Selangor palace rejected a previous attempt by Dr Wan Azizah’s husband and PKR de facto chief Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to request an audience for her.
The palace said the bid was rejected as Selangor ruler had already met with Khalid to discuss his sacking from PKR and his position as the mentri besar.
The Selangor Sultan has also categorised Khalid’s sacking by PKR as an internal party matter that does not affect his position as the mentri besar, the state palace said.
Wan Azizah giving a press conference with Pakatan MPs standing behind her, August 14, 2014.
Asked if PR would agree to a different candidate should the Sultan refuse her nomination, Dr Wan Azizah said:”You should ask the Palace. Not me.”
Earlier the PKR president maintained that PR will nominate only her to replace Khalid and this cannot be challenged since all 30 state assemblymen have voiced their support.
But Federal Opposition Leader Anwar admitted at the same press conference that PR must wait for the Sultan’s consent before proceeding with the next course of action.
“Our duty now is to seek an audience with the Sultan and inform him that our candidate enjoys  the confidence of the House.
“It is up to the grace of the palace to set the date and time,” he said.
DAP secretary-general and Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng, who was also present, said  Khalid should resign and apologise for misleading the Sultan about the level of support he enjoyed.
“It is apparent that PR now command the majority of the assembly Khalid must apologise to the Sultan and graciously resign,” he said.
Khalid has since challenged PR to prove their numbers via a motion of no confidence in the state assembly, saying he will continue governing until he was rejected this way.
PKR expelled Khalid last week for refusing to accept the party’s decision for him to make way for Dr Wan Azizah.

Source: Yahoo News

No comments